Chief Operating Officer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Climb Hire – Chief Operating Officer
ABOUT CLIMB HIRE
Climb Hire is a unique workforce development model based on the idea that talent is evenly distributed, but opportunity is not. Our hypothesis is simple: provide talented people who want to break out of a cycle of underemployment with a community of support, skills, and confidence, and they’ll have access to corporate jobs with upwardly mobile trajectories. We believe that relationships matter just as much as talent or degrees (our motto is “we’re a community, not a class”). Climb Hire’s model trains and prepares Climbers who are predominantly from communities of color, earn below a living wage, and work in retail or the gig economy to break out of minimum wage jobs and into careers in corporate America. Climb Hire trains in four distinct areas: Salesforce Administration, Google Project Management, Customer Experience with Better Mortgage, and Financial Services with Fidelity Investments (launching Jan 2022).
The average Climber enters our program earning below $24k and earns, on average, $61k after the program in their new jobs. Over 80% get hired within six months of graduation, 30% above industry standard. Companies are hiring our talent for just about every entry-level role out there -- sales, marketing, operations, HR, IT, finance, database management - and they keep coming back for more. Our excellent track record of results has put us on a rapid growth path to expand our impact over the next three years to create economic opportunity and mobility for 2-4x the number of Climbers we serve today.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Climb Hire is embarking on a period of significant growth. Enrollment, alumni, and staff are growing exponentially. We are seeking an experienced Chief Operating Officer to join our Executive Leadership team. The COO will operationalize this growth with values, kindness, and a relentless focus on data-driven outcomes. The ideal candidate has a proven background working with communities of color, thrives in fast-paced, high-growth environments, can adapt to shifting goals/priorities, and is an exceptionally strong and seasoned people manager. This candidate brings an extensive background in operations, preferably having built and scaled the operations function for an innovative non-profit or education/education technology company.
Leadership and Strategic Planning (20%)
- Serve as the most senior leader of Climb Hire’s administrative functions, specifically managing the successful outcomes for Finance, Information Technology (IT), and HR.
- Serve as an overall expert strategic planner for the organization.
- Establish goals, objectives, and operational plans in collaboration with the CEO and Program team that support the rapid growth of Climb Hire.
- Responsible for working cross-collaboratively across the different divisions of organization -- program, recruitment and admissions, partnerships, talent, product and systems, and operations.
- Responsible for developing and managing decision-making protocols.
Financial Strategy and Operational Management (20%)
- Support successful financial management and P&L reporting, including managing external accountants to plan and manage annual audit(s)
- Collaborate with third-party consultants to support Climb HIre’s benefits, legal, financial, and insurance coverage.
- Collaborate with CEO on annual budgeting/forecasting.
- Review and manage spend against budget including cash management, tax and other compliance and funder reporting
Information Technology/Data Management and Evaluation Strategy (20%)
- Set the vision, develop the plan and manage internal team and external consultants to ensure Climb Hire’s technology and processes support the learning experience of Climbers as well as the needs of the Climb Hire staff.
- Work closely and manage our Senior Systems Administrator to develop and execute Climb Hire’s data strategy and build necessary IT infrastructure (including data privacy/security and document management).
- Enhance utilization of Salesforce as the organization's primary CRM and data platform, including the development of accurate, useful dashboards for each function.
- Manage an external consultant who will work to develop our program outcome measures and our data and analytics systems.
Marketing, Admissions, & Outreach (20%)
- Directly Manage the Marketing, Admissions and Outreach teams to meet aggressive program growth goals.
- Identify and manage external PR team.
- Manage two directors who oversee the Climber recruitment and admissions process.
- Ensure that there are strong ties between the program team and the admissions team.
People/Human Resources (20%)
- Build and manage HR function through the lens of Climb Hire’s values and commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion.
- Forecast internal hiring needs, manage hiring process, partner with internal hiring managers to help them bring fresh talent into the organization.
- Define compensation structure; manage review cycles, HR compliance to support recruitment and retention of team members.
- Champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusion practices in management, leadership, and processes
- Collaborate with contractors when/if necessary to achieve org-wide professional development goals.
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership Team to ensure Climb Hire progresses as an anti-racist organization.
- Operationalize cultural norms and programming to support our values with retreats, feedback surveys, etc.
- Oversee company-wide communications processes and strategy. Create and reinforce structures, processes, and policies that support a fully remote work environment.
We’re Excited About You Because:
- You have 10+ years of experience in operations management at an education-related organization or non-profit.
- You are passionate about Climb Hire’s mission
- You have experience and/or desire to work with diverse populations from historically underrepresented communities
- You have proven success working in cross-functional teams to build creative solutions
- You are a collaborative and effective manager with experience supporting the career development of colleagues and direct reports
- You have strong project management, organization, and presentation skills
- You are a problem solver at core, with a strong bias for action
- You are passionate about using analytics to build insights around problems and opportunities
- You have managed and developed a marketing/PR and/or recruitment/admissions team (preferred but not required)
- You like rolling up your sleeves as much as you like the big picture
- You’re comfortable with a fast pace and several moving parts
- You know how to take very broad challenges or opportunities and turn them into actionable projects with clear milestones and goals, with minimal guidance
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Three week vacation policy, including holidays and office closed the last week of December (12/25-1/1)
- Virtual work environment
- 90% employer-funded comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage for you (dependents may be added to coverage at additional cost)
- 401(K) retirement plan (4% employer match)
Remote Working Policy
All Climb Hire team members are working remotely. We will gather as a team for 3-4 retreats a year. Our staff live across the country.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Climb Hire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
In lieu of a cover letter (we think they are outdated), please send your resume and a one-page document with your responses to the two questions below. You can send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Tell us about a time you developed a system or structure and got your team invested in it. How did you go about it? What was the result? What did you learn?
- You’ve read about our mission and you know what we do. Why is Climb Hire’s work necessary in the march toward racial justice and equity in the U.S.?
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Climb Hire trains diverse and determined talent to break into new careers.