Visitor Services Associate
Visitor Services Associate
Full Time, Non-Exempt
About The Tech
The Tech Interactive is a family-friendly science and technology center in the heart of downtown San Jose. Our hands-on activities, experimental labs and design challenge experiences empower people to innovate with creativity, curiosity and compassion. The Tech is a world leader in the creation of immersive STEAM education resources to develop the next generation of problem-solvers locally, nationally and globally. We believe that everyone is born an innovator who can change the world for the better.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including but not limited to those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or nonconforming, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Visitor Services Associate helps all guests visiting or inquiring about The Tech Interactive have a memorable and inspiring experience at a Silicon Valley landmark. Their outstanding service to our community also helps to promote increased, repeat attendance. The Visitor Services associate handles all cash transactions and supports admissions, separate ticketed experiences like IMAX, IMAX concessions, and The Tech Store. The associate welcomes school groups when they arrive for field trips, helps guests with Iris tablet check out in the Body Worlds exhibit, and works with the IMAX projectionist to provide quality assurance during films. This position reports to the Visitor Services management team.
The Tech requires candidates to pass a background screening and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination including booster if eligible as conditions of employment. If not yet eligible for booster, the vaccination must be received within two weeks of eligibility in order to stay compliant with The Tech’s vaccination policy.
- Offer excellent customer service, according to established procedures.
- Maintain current knowledge about all aspects of The Tech’s experience including but not limited to The Tech's educational programs, films, membership, IMAX technology, special events and other visitor related information in order to answer guest questions and provide a better experience.
- Rotate through all assigned Visitor Services stations within a single shift.
- Follow all safety protocols related to all aspects of Visitor Services operations.
- Accurately handle cash and credit card transactions in admissions, store, separate ticketed experiences like IMAX and IMAX concessions.
- Using The Tech’s point of sale system, sell tickets for admission, IMAX and additional experiences. Promote and upsell memberships. Sell and process birthday party experiences.
- Check out equipment for all additional experiences (e.g. Iris tablet for Body Worlds, as well as others as they are developed)
- Interact with customers in The Tech Store, answer questions about products, assist with finding the best product to match customer needs and process sales. Stock inventory as needed.
- Operate and be proficient with the IMAX Media Control console and Spice Media Automation system. Monitor sound and image quality throughout the run of a film.
- Operate and stock concessions in compliance with Department of Health standards.
- Greet school groups by meeting teachers at the bus. Give a clear and concise introduction to The Tech and the field trip experience and direct groups to their starting point within The Tech.
- Collect tickets and assist guests with theater entry to ensure a smooth and timely film experience.
- In the event of an emergency follow directed procedures to ensure staff, volunteer and guest safety.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of work areas including admissions desk, IMAX Dome Theater and concessions area. Follow cleaning and safety protocols with no exceptions.
- Assist in other Operations departments as needed (e.g. Special Events).
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- One or more years of retail, sales, museum and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Ability to learn new procedures and systems.
- Flexible and thrives in an environment that may rotate multiple job stations within a single shift.
- Ability to work in a public setting with interaction with guests and follow safety protocols.
- Outgoing, positive attitude and enthusiasm for working with the public and especially children.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) as well as professional phone etiquette. Ability to speak in public in front of groups.
- Interest in science and technology
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as accomplish work independently
- Ability to adhere to The Tech's grooming guidelines and provide a professional appearance
- Punctual with the ability to adhere to scheduled shifts. Flexible availability including weekdays, weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, internet)
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for significant periods of time in both an indoor and outdoor environment.
- Constantly positioning self based on needs of each station.
- Frequently moves objects up to 40 lbs.
- Prior experience with point-of-sale cash handling systems preferred
The Tech will provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are driven to inspire the innovator in everyone