Teacher - Early Learning
Working at KairosPDX
KairosPDX is always seeking candidates for year-round positions. Persons of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
KairosPDX launched our flagship program, our Learning Academy, a public charter school sponsored by Portland Public Schools, located on N. Gantenbein Avenue in Portland in 2014. Our educational model is a mix between direct instruction and inquiry-based. Our curriculum approach is a culturally-responsive, workshop model that infuses mindfulness, restorative practice, studio art, STEM, music and fitness in our teaching.
KairosPDX launched our Training Academy in 2021. KairosPDX Training Academy is focused on training current leaders across multiple sectors on how to lead in an equity movement that is grounded in transformational change and rooted in a framework of belonging and the neuroscience of love. We provide training and professional development around rehumanization practices and protocols for administrators, educators, early childhood professionals, organizations, and businesses the tools to do the work in equity that KairosPDX puts into practice daily.
Core Position Responsibilities:
- Plan and guide age-appropriate learning experiences designed to nurture children’s social-emotional, cognitive and creative intelligences
- Demonstrate an understanding of the developmental stages and needs of children ages 3-5
- Create a learning environment that supports children to develop and challenge their sense of self and community
- Establish and maintain authentic and respectful relationships with children, families and colleagues
- Communicate with families about students’ experiences, challenges, and progress (including quarterly family conferences, and annual home culture visit)
- Engage as a member of a teaching team which practices and values collaboration, listening for understanding, and respectful communication
- Maintain healthy and safe conditions for children, families and colleagues
- Maintain professional commitment to the mission of KairosPDX and its approaches to teaching and learning
- Participate in supervising students during recess and other non-class times and
- Assist in planning and supervising walking and local field trips local trips.
- Attend several KairosPDX staff and family events
- Participate in professional development to facilitate the growth of each student, staff member and the organization overall
- Participate in continuous improvement practices including observations, reflections and collaborations
- Participate in all staff, department and team meetings and seminars
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change with or without notice.
- Perform other related duties as needed and assigned
● At least two full years of teaching experience in a licensed/certified preschool setting with lesson planning experience required; OR
● At least 10 semester credits or 15 quarter credits in early childhood education with at least 6 full months of experience in a licensed/certified preschool setting including lesson planning experience required; OR
● Documentation of attaining at least step 8 in Oregon registry
● Previous experience in childcare, teaching, or other related fields
● Enrollment in Oregon’s Criminal Background Registry through the Office of Child Care (cost paid by applicant).
● Strong verbal and written communications skills with internal staff, external corporate partners, donors, funders, volunteers, and vendors
● Agility to work across multiple, simultaneous projects and meet deadlines with attention to detail and deadlines.
● Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Knowledgeable of the practices of the early childhood schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy
● Values families as essential partners in children’s learning.
● Finds joy in working alongside children and other adults.
Knowledge & Skills:
● High tolerance for ambiguity, changing work priorities and deadlines, and a willingness to take on responsibilities and to prioritize work on multiple projects;
● Highly detail-focused and results-oriented;
● Ability to communicate and interact effectively with multiple constituencies including families, parents, staff and students;
● Team-player attitude and strong customer-service orientation;
● Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
● Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
● Demonstrated initiative, leadership, and tenacity;
● Willingness to learn about and adapt to KairosPDX culture;
● Commitment to culturally relevant practices;
● Commitment to professional reflection and ongoing collaboration;
● Current Food Handlers Card and CPR/First Aid Certificate required (cost paid by applicant);
● Ability to pass a criminal background check.
● Ability to adhere to Governors Vaccination Requirements for Teachers and School Staff, note this applies to all KairosPDX non-Instructional staff.
● Share KairosPDX’s stance that excellent public education is a civil right of all children and families;
● Experience working with diverse populations, specifically people of color; and
● Passion for KairosPDX’s mission.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary Range: Dependent on qualifications
- Benefits include: Up to three weeks of building closure breaks, paid sick/personal leave days, paid holidays, employer contribution for health insurance, professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state “Teacher-Early learning application” in the subject line. In the cover letter please briefly describe your previous teaching experience, why you are interested in this position and what strengths you will bring to the job. Resumes will be accepted until the positions are filled.
KairosPDX is an equal opportunity employer. KairosPDX will not discriminate against any job application or employee on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation and/or gender identification.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
CULTIVATING CONFIDENT, CREATIVE, COMPASSIONATE LEADERS