Assistant - Early Learning
Working at KairosPDX
KairosPDX is always seeking candidates for year-round positions. Persons of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
KairosPDX launched our flagship program, our Learning Academy, a public charter school sponsored by Portland Public Schools, located on N. Gantenbein Avenue in Portland in 2014. Our educational model is a mix between direct instruction and inquiry-based. Our curriculum approach is a culturally-responsive, workshop model that infuses mindfulness, restorative practice, studio art, STEM, music and fitness in our teaching.
KairosPDX launched our Training Academy in 2021. KairosPDX Training Academy is focused on training current leaders across multiple sectors on how to lead in an equity movement that is grounded in transformational change and rooted in a framework of belonging and the neuroscience of love. We provide training and professional development around rehumanization practices and protocols for administrators, educators, early childhood professionals, organizations, and businesses the tools to do the work in equity that KairosPDX puts into practice daily.
Core Position Responsibilities:
- Support the lead teaching team and support a group of preschool children
- Individual and/or small group instruction for children
- Support for the exchange of information between home and school ie: creation of flyers, conference reminders, etc.
- Supporting lead teacher to communicate with families regarding student behavior, needs and growth
- Perform activities that ensure the safety, engagement, and creativity of each individual in the group
- Work cooperatively with the lead teacher to discuss and aid in the implementation of daily plans in accordance with the current curriculum and covid related sanitation standards
- Nurture the social-emotional intelligences of children
- Follow daily lesson plans for appropriate age teaching and learning, making adjustments when needed
- Set up, maintain and clean up daily provocations
- Cultivate a warm, welcoming and safe environment for students, families and colleagues
- Support classroom expectations and agreements
- Guide children through process of exploration, collaboration and reflection
- Comfortability getting outside and creating a positive light on outdoor education in all weather
- Keep an organized and orderly classroom that promotes creativity and learning
- Maintain weekly communication with parents through a weekly email
- Cultivate positive relationships with families, teachers, state licensing authorities, community contacts and corporate partners.
- Participate in supervising students during recess and other non-class times and
- Assist in planning and supervising walking and local field trips local trips.
- Attend several KairosPDX staff and family events
- Participate in professional development to facilitate growth of each student, staff member and the organization overall
- Participate in continuous improvement practices including observations, reflections and collaborations
- Perform other related duties as needed and assigned
● Early Childhood Education degree or equivalent experience
● Relevant experience in child development and early childhood education
● Agility to work across multiple, simultaneous projects and meet deadlines with attention to detail and deadlines
● Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
● Compassionate and confident leader
● Eagerness to work collaboratively with the early childhood teaching team
● Documentation of attaining at least step 4 in Oregon registry
● Enrollment in Oregon’s Criminal Background Registry through the Office of Child Care (cost paid by applicant).
Knowledge & Skills:
● High tolerance for ambiguity, changing work priorities and deadlines, and a willingness to take on responsibilities and to prioritize work on multiple projects;
● Highly detail-focused and results-oriented;
● Ability to communicate and interact effectively with multiple constituencies including families, parents, staff and students;
● Team-player attitude and strong customer-service orientation;
● Excellent organizational, planning, and implementation skills;
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
● Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
● Demonstrated initiative, leadership, and tenacity;
● Willingness to learn about and adapt to KairosPDX culture;
● Commitment to culturally relevant practices;
● Commitment to professional reflection and ongoing collaboration;
● Current Food Handlers Card and CPR/First Aid Certificate required (cost paid by applicant);
● Ability to pass a criminal background check.
● Enrollment in Oregon’s Criminal Background registry.
● Ability to adhere to Governors Vaccination Requirements for Teachers and School Staff, note this applies to all KairosPDX non-Instructional staff.
● Share KairosPDX’s stance that excellent public education is a civil right of all children and families;
● Experience working with diverse populations, specifically people of color; and
● Passion for KairosPDX’s mission.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary Range: Dependent on qualifications
- Benefits include: Up to three weeks of building closure breaks, paid sick/personal leave days, paid holidays, employer contribution for health insurance, professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested candidates please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state “Assistant- Early Learning application” in the subject line. In the cover letter please briefly describe your previous teaching experience, why you are interested in this position and what strengths you will bring to the job. Resumes will be accepted until the positions are filled.
KairosPDX is an equal opportunity employer. KairosPDX will not discriminate against any job application or employee on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation and/or gender identification.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
CULTIVATING CONFIDENT, CREATIVE, COMPASSIONATE LEADERS