Salary $21.47 - $28.02 Hourly
Location Bend, OR
Job Type Full-Time
Job Number 22-00087
Full-time employees are eligible to enroll in our standard health, vision, and dental plan, which will cover you and your dependents with one low monthly premium. The health plan also offers employees, and their dependents access to the Deschutes Onsite Clinic (DOC), DOC Pharmacy, and Well Connect.
ROLE OF DEPARTMENT
The overarching purpose of COIC's transportation program is to strengthen regional transportation services and infrastructure through the development and implementation of regionally-based transportation plans, administration and operations, service coordination, and project development. A regional approach to transportation enhances efficiencies among transportation organizations and ensures regional connectivity for Central Oregon's residents, businesses, and visitors.
Perform day-to-day operational and preventative maintenance for all vehicles, including, but not limited to the inspection, diagnostics, maintenance, and repair of a variety of light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicles and equipment.
COIC supports the region as a trusted leader and partner, helping communities identify and address their unique and common needs through collaboration, shared service delivery, technical assistance, information sharing, and resource development.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
COIC values the diversity of the people we hire and serve. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and fostering a workplace in which individual differences are appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways which elevates the delivery of our services to Central Oregon Communities.
FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position and is subject to change. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. Employment remains AT-WILL at all times.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform preventive maintenance according to manufactures specifications and COIC schedules for all vehicles and mechanical equipment;
- Repairs brakes, diesel and gasoline engines, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, heating, and air condition systems, ignition, air, exhaust, axle assemblies, and related systems;
- Inspect and repair wheelchair lifts;
- Check fluid levels and add or change fluids as necessary; lubricate the vehicle/equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications, changes tires, and tubes;
- Operate a variety of diagnostic instruments and a variety of hand, electric, and air-driven tools;
- Tests, services, and repairs vehicles and mechanical equipment;
- Welds, machines and fabricates parts;
- Provides emergency field assistance to disabled equipment as needed and appropriate;
- Maintain records of vehicle repairs including parts and labor. Maintains equipment, tools, machinery records, and other records as required;
- Purchases parts, and supplies used for vehicle and mechanical system maintenance. Maintain shop area to ensure safety and cleanliness. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Thorough knowledge of automotive mechanics, gas and diesel engines, transmissions, hydraulics, wheelchair lifts, automotive HVAC systems; price trends and grades or quality of materials and equipment;
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to municipal maintenance and repair activities;
- Working knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, and tools used in modern equipment maintenance;
- Skill in operation of required tools and equipment;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective preventive maintenance programs, policies and procedures;
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion;
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors, vendors and the public;
- Must pass a criminal background and driving background check;
- Must have or attain a valid Oregon Class B CDL with passenger endorsement and air brake restriction lifted within 6 months of hire date as an essential function of the position;
- Valid driver's license and access to a private vehicle or equivalent means of transportation;
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment DOT drug screen;
- Must provide own basic hand tools used in the repair of vehicles and equipment;
- Work independently and effectively without close supervision;
- Effective verbal and written communication skill;
- To establish and maintain cooperative working relationships;
- Have strong organizational and time management skills and ability to work effectively under pressure;
- To work with and keep confidential sensitive personnel information.
Accountability - Accepts responsibility and is accountable for achieving results.
Adaptability - Adapts to handle unexpected challenges. Responds positively to changes in direction and priorities, responsibilities, or assignments.
Attention to Detail - Is thorough and accurate in all assignments. Diligently attends to details and maintains a high degree of quality in one's work.
Communication Skills - Possesses good verbal and written communication skills. Articulates thoughts clearly and effectively.
Conflict Resolution - Embraces positive conflict and treats others with respect and dignity. Facilitates the development of creative solutions to conflict.
Continuous Improvement - Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
Critical Thinking - Approaches problem-solving with rigor, discipline, and analytical thinking. Thinks outside the box as needed.
Customer Focus - Demonstrates ability and concern for delivering exceptional service to internal and external customers. Establishes and maintains effective relationships.
Integrity & Trust - Complies with rules, regulations, and policies. Treats people with respect, maintain confidentiality, and inspires the trust of others.
Motivating Others - Creates a positive work environment. Empowers others by allowing ownership of processes and tasks. Celebrates and rewards accomplishments.
Personal and Professional Growth - Demonstrates continuous improvement, energy, creativity, and intellectual growth. Seeks out opportunities to learn and develop.
Professionalism - Behaves in a business-like manner and performs responsibilities to the highest standards. Displays proper attitude, work attire, and interaction with others.
Team Work - Works collaboratively with others, gets help when needed, shares knowledge, and contributes to a positive work environment.
Time Management - Uses time effectively and efficiently. Prioritizes short- and long-term tasks against business objectives.
Work Standards - Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES REQUIRED
AA Degree in Automotive Technology plus some specialized training in maintenance management, or a closely related field; three (3) years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience necessary to perform the required job duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Work with tools and powered machinery.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. Work may be performed inside or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the mechanic shop environment is usually moderate, except during certain maintenance duties when noise levels may be loud. Employee may be required to work evening, weekend, or holidays. Employees must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing tasks that require the use of PPE.
High risk of personal injury if safety practices are not observed. Exposure to potentially dangerous situations occurs constantly as a part of assigned work. Positions at this level must continually assess the environment as it relates to personal safety.
COIC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Central Oregon Intergovernmental Council
1250 NE Bear Creek Rd.
Bend, Oregon, 97701
Your application has been successfully submitted.
COIC supports the region as a trusted leader and partner, helping communities identify and address their unique and common needs through collaboration...