Software Engineer – Engineering Operations
Software Engineer – Engineering Operation
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet – technology and healthcare – with a culture of performance, collaboration, and opportunity and this is what you get Optum. Optum is proud to be leading technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions.
Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services company serving more than 127 million consumers, delivering the right care when and how it’s needed. We are dedicated to evolving health care so everyone can have the opportunity to live their healthiest life.
Our approach to technology isn’t about designing another app to fix health care. It’s about connecting patients and members to their care teams, payers to providers, and ultimately connecting a disconnected health system so that it works better for the people it was created to serve.
About the Neurodiversity Hiring Program
We are committed to creating a culture where diversity is celebrated, equity is realized, and inclusion is embraced. Embracing Neurodiversity means we are committed to the equality and inclusion of people who experience, process, understand, communicate, and think about the world differently.
Most people are neurotypical, meaning the brain functions and processes in the way that society expects; however 1 in 5 people are neurodivergent. The terms used to describe individuals that are considered different (‘divergent’) from the standard (‘neurotypical’) include neurominority, neurodivergent, or neurodistinct and refer to less typical neurotypes or neurodiverse conditions such as ADHD, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and Tourette syndrome. Everyone has both talents and things they struggle with. However, for some people the variation between those strengths and challenges is more pronounced, which can bring advantage but can also be disabling especially within certain environments.
The Neurodiversity Hiring Program seeks to attract talented Neurodivergent candidates. Our program takes a strengths-based approach to recruitment and hiring by providing alternative ways for candidates to highlight their skills and unique talents. Our program also extends beyond hiring and also provides individualized support and training needed for career growth and success in the workplace.
We are seeking candidates who identify as neurodiverse, such as ADHD, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia and Tourette syndrome.
The Ops team is responsible for providing production support and application maintenance on IT Services to our business partners. It works on incident management, problem management, change management, and release & deployment management processes based on ITSM / ITIL framework.
Optum Pay: Optum Pay is an Electronic Funds Transfer and Electronic Remittance Advice (EFT/ERA/MEOB/835) Solution from Optum™. The application is a fully integrated claims settlement solution that brings electronic data and banking functions together, simplifying a payer’s workflow, lowering costs, and improving provider relations at the same time. Recently, Optum Pay started a feature to enable members for making provider payments.
Primary Job Responsibilities
• Identify and remediate failed batch and real-time processing events
• Resolve incident (break/fix) tickets and open problem tickets for incident trends/defects
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of issues, including in - depth technical analysis, troubleshooting, analyzing, root cause and engaging appropriate subject-matter-experts as needed to drive incident resolution and problem management
• Execute processes and activities that focus on restoring service after an incident occurs
• Create and drive permanent solutions and improvements after root cause is identified
• Identify opportunities for automation and operational efficiencies
• Monitor the environment health and drive improvements to enhance availability and performance
• Ability to influence and gain support of all levels of Management
• Ensure support readiness prior to the deployment of any change to the production environment
• Demonstrate work behavior that reflects a Customer Service Orientation (i.e. positive attitude, listens, seeks to help solve problems)
• Collaborate on a daily basis with internal business partners, engineering teams and other technology professionals
• Create and share technical knowledge documentation
• Provide release for code deployments
• Experience supporting/developing applications based on either WAS/Tomcat application servers
• Java, J2EE, Struts, Spring, Spring Boot
• Working experience on Azure Cloud
• Knowledge in IBM WebSphere Application server
• Experience in Production support
• Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
• Experience with UNIX and Shell Scripting
• Java development experience or ability and desire to quickly learn Java
• Experience with Data Interchange formats (ANSI X12, Flat File, XML)
• Understanding of CI/CD tools or ability and desire to quickly learn tools such as Jenkins, XL Deploy
• Bachelor's degree
• Experience in Datastage or similar integration tools
Remote work is available for this role, however, a hybrid work arrangement to one of the following offices is preferred: Eden Prairie, MN; Plano, TX; Nashville, TN. Most employees follow a 8am-5pm work day schedule with 30 minutes for lunch.
Neurodiversity can be a competitive advantage when the individuals are in the right environment, making use of their strengths, instead of constantly trying to overcome challenges. To achieve this, we must create inclusive spaces to work that reduce disabling factors and amplify diverse abilities, and where all variations in the rich tapestry of human cognition are accepted and enabled.
Tools and technology available to you:
• HP Laptop computer, Mouse, external monitor
• Accessibility of online platforms and digital tools
• Other tools and technology available upon request
Team and social expectations:
• You will be a part of a small global team of 6-8 people from India, Spain and the USA
• The majority of your work is independent and you will receive direction/guidance from the Scrum Team
• Verbal communication is needed for team meetings, 1:1 meetings with your manager, and occasional phone calls. Written communication is needed for e-mailing and inter-office messaging through chat forums.
• Primary modes of communication include: video meetings, in-person meetings (if in an office), e-mail, Yammer, and Microsoft Team Chats
In most office locations, you can expect:
• You will have an assigned desk and workspace. You will be provided with a computer, sit-stand desk, monitors, keyboard, and a comfortable chair.
• You will work on an office floor with other cubicles. Floors typically have a central café area with water dispensers, coffee station, fridges, a microwave, and utensil dispensers.
• Each floor has “scrum areas” that are open spaces with whiteboards that anyone can use to solution on, collaborate, and write ideas down.
• Large conference rooms for collaboration with others
• Smaller, closed off rooms called “huddles” that are used when a quiet space is needed or to avoid distractions.
• Each huddle has a monitor or large TV for displays and to better view and collaborate on work.
• There are also dedicated “side spaces” that have tables and comfortable chairs, plenty of white boards, and outlets and are used by teams who want to collaborate but want to avoid larger distractions.
• Most offices have windows, providing ample natural light with shades to adjust or block.
• Working with you, we will discuss your individuals needs to ensure we support you to work at your best.
Phone screen, Written Interview, Virtual Interview
Your application has been successfully submitted.