KPOV Development Director
Position: KPOV Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Bend, Oregon
Classification: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Located in Bend, Oregon, KPOV, 88.9 FM is High Desert Community Radio. Listener supported and volunteer powered, we are radio by the people and for the people of Central Oregon. KPOV is a small organization with a small staff who work collaboratively on KPOV!s projects and many day-to-day operations. Staff also works with the Board of Directors and volunteers to accomplish the strategic plan and mission of KPOV.
A full list of our values can be found at https://kpov.org/mission-and-history.
KPOV has been on the air since 2005 and has celebrated consistent growth ever since. 2022 saw KPOV add 14 new DJs and six new shows. KPOV currently operates with a six-figure budget and recent planned estate gifts have boosted our overall financial picture.
Overview of Position:
The Development Director serves as the lead in raising operational funds for KPOV through membership, pledge drives, business underwriting, grants, major donors, and special events. This position also includes donor database management, marketing, and communications in conjunction with the Executive Director, Board, and volunteers.
The Development Director supports KPOV!s strategic vision by creating and leading fund-raising programs and activities necessary to meet revenue objectives for the financial health of the radio station. In tandem with raising funds, the DD acts as the point person for activities to increase public awareness of KPOV to prospective members and listeners through press coverage, station publications, promotional opportunities and partnerships.
The Development Director will work with the Executive Director to create and implement a fundraising plan and strategies that will meet the major development goals of the organization. In addition, the DD will foster a cooperative, constructive work environment and work effectively with KPOV stakeholders.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Annual Development of Financial Plan
• Lead efforts to create an annual fundraising plan to maintain existing revenue streams and create additional/new revenue for the station.
• Provide leadership and responsibility to implement the plan, including recruiting volunteers to participate in fundraising activities.
• Continually assess the plan with an eye toward creating efficiencies and constant improvements to help meet the needs of the Station.
• The fundraising plan is goal-oriented and is created annually. It will be presented to the Board quarterly with updates and current status towards goals.
• Regularly report to Board and station manager on fundraising activity.
Duties within current Fundraising Mechanisms
Membership - Cultivate sustained base of annual individual donors using twice-annual on-air membership drives, year-end and other direct mail campaigns, monthly sustaining gifts, product donations, employee/corporate giving programs.
Specific duties include:
• Oversight of membership drives
• Work closely with other staff members to maintain pledge planning schedule
• Oversee all aspects of membership drive (working with staff, board, and leadership volunteers)
• Oversight of year-end campaign
• Oversight of phone banks
• New member solicitation
• Car donation liaison
Underwriting - Work with Executive Director to create and execute a strategy for a sustained base of annual business support in exchange for statements of support on KPOV. Also responsible for sponsorships for events.
Specific duties include:
• Procure new underwriting contracts
• Communicate with and renew existing contracts
• Maintain and update underwriting materials
• Ensure underwriting announcements are produced for broadcast
• Understand & uphold FCC rules and regulations as they pertain to underwriting
• Partner with Executive Director and volunteer coordinator to recruit and manage underwriting staff and volunteers
Major Donor Program
• Develop and implement major donor program including establishing and maintaining ongoing relationships with donors and foundations
• Engage board and other volunteers in major donor outreach
• Partner with grant committee volunteers seek, develop, and write grant proposals
Special Events - Work with event team leaders on special fundraising events to meet revenue goals.
Specific duties include:
• Manage event sponsorship solicitation to achieve financial goals
• Post-event sponsor communication
• Act as primary contact for businesses and individual sponsors, as well as marketing events
• Act as a spokesperson for KPOV at public events Reporting and database management
KPOV uses Donor Perfect for membership database management. The DD will update the database to maintain current records for memberships, status, funds, and contact information.
Other Fundraising Involvement
• New fundraising programs such as legacy fundraising, workplace giving
• Oversight of thank-you letters
• Updating website to reflect current underwriters and underwriting information
• Maintain database & website to reflect current sponsors
Marketing and Communications
• Develop and execute a strategy to market and promote all aspects of KPOV’a mission, vision, values, goals and objectives
• Oversee all station marketing communications including e-mail campaigns and social media (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
• Work with Executive Director, staff, and volunteers to maintain relationships with regional media with an eye towards promotion of station activities; ie. press releases
• Represent station at appropriate conferences and events throughout the year
This full-time, salaried, exempt position has a starting salary of $52,000. Ratio of in- office to remote work to be decided by the Executive Director.
KPOV is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
High desert community radio