New Movies Features Writer (Theater Releases)
Note: This is a full-time freelance, remote position - that means you can work from anywhere, on your own schedule.
Screen Rant is the #1 entertainment website on the web and publishes up-to-the-minute news on blockbuster movies, TV, video games, and comic books. Our editorial team is looking for an experienced Shift Writer to contribute Feature content for theatrical releases under the leadership of the Movie/TV Features Lead Editor. The selected candidates will have tremendous career growth opportunities within the organization. Please note that this role does not involve video production or script writing.
This writer will cover movies releasing exclusively in theaters, occasionally backfilling with evergreen content on movies not previously covered. Additionally, they will write high-ranking authority features on each release (SR's core content). This position will not include reviews.
Please visit screenrant.com and review your familiarity with our range of topics before applying and, in your cover letter, make sure to tell us how your knowledge of entertainment content will complement Screen Rant’s coverage. We would love to welcome you to our community of cinephiles, gamers, and geeks!
- Write a minimum of 25-30 articles per week in Screen Rant's house style (following the requisite training and peer mentorship period)
- This will include fact-checking, formatting, linking, and image sourcing/very basic editing (sizing, brightness, etc.)
- Pitch story ideas when none are readily available
- Accept and apply any/all feedback received by the editorial team
- Communicate openly and actively with the editorial team
- 1–2 years of online writing experience with a media outlet
- A passion for the content and a drive to grow within the industry
- Broad working knowledge of new movies/theatrical releases
- Quick learner with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent command of the English language
- Ability to write articles free of typos and grammatical errors
- Comfortable working in an entirely virtual environment
Applicants with experience in the following areas will be given favorable consideration:
- Previous experience working with PR on screeners
- Previous experience writing long-form, analytical articles on movies or TV shows
- Work independently with little oversight
- Understanding of what it means to write a "Feature"
- Familiarity with Wordpress
- Image editing
- Analytics (GA)
What Screen Rant has to offer:
- Open schedule - write as much as you like, whenever you like, from wherever you like!
- Future bonusing opportunities for high contributors of quality articles
- Incredible opportunities for career growth within a supportive system
- An amazing community of like-minded people to nerd-out with on a daily basis
NOTE: Only applications containing a resume and cover letter will be considered. It is essential that you demonstrate your breadth of knowledge of new movies/theatrical releases in your cover letter. You will not be considered for the role if this information is not included. Please note that the next step in the hiring process involves a writing evaluation.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.