Product Designer, Human Data
Product Designer, Human Data
San Francisco, California, United States
About the Team
OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. Our Applied AI team deploys our advanced AI systems into the world by building great products. We serve a diverse audience, from developers building on our API to creatives using DALL·E to visualize their imagination.
Developers are using our API to build incredible next-gen applications powered by our models that can understand and generate natural language text, code, and images. For example, we launched Copilot, an AI pair programmer, in partnership with GitHub last year.
Earlier this year, we also introduced DALL·E 2, our AI system that can create and edit images based on a text description. The Verge called it “a breakthrough in the history of consumer tech” and “the sort of nascent technology that made me call my friends and say: you’ve got to see this.”
Most recently, we released ChatGPT, an early research preview that lets people interact with its model in a conversational way.
About the Role
Design plays a critical role here. To succeed in our mission, it’s crucial that we make our technology intuitive and accessible. We’re hiring a product designer to create products that are easy to use, beautiful, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. As an early team member, you’ll have a huge part in shaping our product direction and design culture.
In this role, you’ll work closely with our Human Data team. OpenAI is on the cutting edge of AI development, and we’re excited to be developing methods for steering AI behavior based on small amounts of input from human teachers. You might be familiar with ChatGPT, which has become helpful and compliant thanks to human feedback.
We believe human input is crucial for creating useful and safe AI systems, but it’s not easy! The task of giving feedback on increasingly capable AI models is challenging, which is where you come in. You’ll work with our Human Data team to design the interfaces and workflows that make it easy and intuitive for humans to teach our AI models.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Contribute to the overall design and product direction at OpenAI
- Design and ship high-quality products and improvements, from early concepts to high-fidelity prototypes and visuals
- Partner closely with engineering, product management, AI research, and design peers to define both long-term strategy and short-term tactics
- Engage in user research to better understand our users and refine our products
- Contribute to and evolve our design system
- Help establish our design culture and grow our team
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have significant experience leading product design for tools or technical products
- Love thinking through complex interaction design problems
- Enjoy tackling ambiguous problems and shaping them into a clear vision
- Get excited about being immersed in the AI research process and defining how AI-first products should look and behave
- Have strong UX/UI and interaction design skills, and a high bar for quality and craft
- Are comfortable leading large projects and have excellent communication skills
- Bonus: You have a technical background or experience designing products for developers or in AI
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $200,000 – $255,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Join us in shaping the future of technology.