Staff Program Manager, Trust & Safety
Staff Program Manager, Trust & Safety
San Francisco, California, United States
About the Team
The Applied AI Team’s purpose is to commercialize OpenAI’s technology in a manner that leads to broadly beneficial Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) - in particular, by gaining practical experience in deploying these technologies safely. Within Applied AI, Trust and Safety’s mission is to define acceptable uses of OpenAI’s technology; establish detection and response systems to ensure that technology is not used in unsafe ways and to advance the set of use-cases that OpenAI can safely permit.
In 2020, we introduced GPT-3 as the first technology on the OpenAI API, allowing developers to integrate its ability to understand and generate natural language into their product. In 2021, we launched Copilot, powered by Codex, in partnership with GitHub, a new product that can translate natural language to code. In April 2022, we introduced DALL-E 2, AI that creates images from text, and in November 2022 we introduced ChatGPT.
About the Role
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Program Manager to lead the scaling of our Trust and Safety (T&S) team's growth and operational execution. As the main point of contact for overall team planning, roadmapping, and budgeting, the Program Manager will play a critical role in ensuring the smooth running of the T&S team and effective communication both internally and cross-functionally.
The T&S team has grown rapidly in recent months. As a relatively new team, we need to establish scalable practices for many essential functions. The Program Managerwill be responsible for creating the structure and process the team needs while being comfortable with the velocity and ambiguity of OpenAI as a whole.
In this role, you will:
- Manage the T&S roadmap and budget, ensuring they are accurate, comprehensive, and up to date.
- Communicate the roadmap and budget clearly and effectively to all relevant stakeholders.
- Prioritize feedback and requests from other parts of the company, such as product or engineering, to ensure alignment.
- Understand Applied AI's roadmap for OpenAI products and hold teams accountable to execution and timelines.
- Create documentation and resources to help other teams within OpenAI better understand T&S issues.
- Help to manage hiring pipelines as a backup/accelerator to the hiring managers.
You might thrive in this role if you have:
- Proven experience as a Program Manager, with a track record of successfully scaling teams.
- Strong ability to create structure and process in a rapidly growing and evolving team.
- Proven experience in project and operational execution.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in the tech industry preferred.
- Interest and passion for AI safety
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
The annual salary range for this role is $180,000 – $240,000. Total compensation also includes generous equity and benefits.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Join us in shaping the future of technology.