Walt Disney Imagineering, Software Developer Intern, Summer 2023
Job ID 10044146
Location Glendale, California, United States
Business Walt Disney Imagineering
Date posted Mar. 14, 2023
Be a part of an innovative team and culture…
Walt Disney Imagineering is building a new AI Character Studio to take the most well-known characters in the world and turn them into interactive experiences for a new generation of fans and guests. The team comprises a cross-disciplinary group of designers, writers, artists, AI experts, and software engineers. Its charter includes developing a robust and scalable entertainment platform supporting interactive character experiences with up to millions of concurrent users. The studio develops mobile, VR, AR, Mixed Reality, and custom physically situated applications built on a core platform, independently and in partnership with 3rd party developers.
A Day in the Life…
We’re seeking motivated interns eager to learn as they apply their technical and artistic skills to create incredible new interactive character experiences. In collaboration with AI engineers and conversational designers at the AI Character Studio, our intern group will assist in efforts to define and create the software that enables our world-class artists and designers to bring our characters to life and connect with our guests in new ways. You are highly collaborative, flexible, and scrappy while ensuring a high degree of polish for guest-facing products and experiences. You are willing to take the time necessary to understand creative goals and propose and effectively communicate solutions. Interns are expected to thrive in a fast-paced, startup-style environment where ambiguity and building things from zero to one are the norm.
- Support development of a production pipeline and related tooling to deliver robust, scalable interactive character experiences integrating internal and externally developed AI/ML tools for speech, language, and other domains.
- Develop and implement prototype character experiences that test the new platform's capabilities.
- Assist in human-centric and automated test procedures, ensuring the quality and safety of AI-based experiences.
- Contribute toward system documentation to educate production talent on tool features and usage.
- Work with a production-oriented mindset, delivering efficient, scalable, and maintainable code when required.
- Work with content creators and designers to identify and develop features that speed up their character creation process.
What we are looking for…
- Familiarity with modern programming languages, including Python, C++, and C#.
- Knowledge of familiar developer tools such as git, Visual Studio, VS Code
- Familiarity with game engine tooling and workflows.
- Experience working on collaborative projects with multiple stakeholders
- At the time of application, you must be enrolled in an accredited college/university, taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program AND returning to school the semester/quarter following the internship OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship .
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization.
- Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2023.
- Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment.
The pay rate for this internship is $40.00 per hour.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Walt Disney Imagineering
Where innovation and storytelling combine to bring Disney stories, characters and worlds to life.